Re: 1975 Midget Trouble...HELP

To: converse@centurytel.net
Subject: Re: 1975 Midget Trouble...HELP
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:05:43 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/20/01 6:04:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
converse@centurytel.net writes:

> I'm hearing boiling sounds today!!! ARRGH! My temp gauge has been checked
> out by the mechanic and seems to be right on. Again, the sucker runs fine
> until you turn off the engine and that's when you can watch the tempertature
> gauge just skyrocket. Today, I just got out the water hose and left the car

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Make sure the radiator is full.  (CAUTION: Only open the radiator when the
engine is cool.)  Check the ignition timing.  And be careful about spraying
water near a hot engine.  Cool the exhaust manifold too quickly and you will
be replacing that soon.

I don't think the problem is your water pump because you said the engine runs
at proper temp.  The boiling after shutdown may be from too advanced ignition
timing causing the engine to run too hot.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport