Re: 1975 Midget Trouble...HELP

To: "Charles F. Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1975 Midget Trouble...HELP
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:04:11 -0700
I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it, but I think it worked on my
car because of  the way I mounted the electric fan.  I mounted it between
the radiator and the engine, pulling air through the rad and onto the
engine.  Most I've seen mount the fan in front of the radiator.  Maybe the
cool air running across the cast iron was enough to cool it down?  Not
likely, but in my case at least it seemed to work.

Now that I've thought about it a little more, another reason for the temp to
skyrocket at shutdown is low coolant level.  There's just enough in the
system to keep it cool when running, but not quite enough to "wet" the block
when the coolant isn't circulating to transfer heat.  Coolant will absorb
the heat much better than air. (Volkwagons and Porsches not
withstanding...<grin>)

Greg Gowins
'69 Sprite
Dublin, CA