Re: Can't Win For Losing...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can't Win For Losing...
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:24:30 -0700
Put the Bugeye up on jack stands today to try to determine the cause of
the oil leak.  I mean large oil leak.  Who doesn't have some kind of an
oil leak?  I had suspected the transmission thinking the worse, but as
usual the problem stems from something I had my stubby inexperienced
fingers on in the past.  The wettest area proved to be at the front of
the engine around the timing cover pulley seal.  I had replaced this
seal when I installed the supercharger piggyback pulley on the crank
pulley.  It was leaking then and seemed like a good time to fix this
problem.  My mistake was not listening to the collective wisdom of the
list.  I was lazy and did not want to remove the timing cover and center
it to the pulley and seal.  Duhhh!  Whaddya know, same problem returns!
Also noticed the block was wet from oil below the two tappet side
covers.  Funny how things work out, but I am waiting for a thermostat
from Norman Nock that is supposed to be like the original with a sleeve
to block off the bypass hole that sends some of the hot water back to
the head instead of to the radiator.  Just another way to try to resolve
this overheating problem on hot days.  I will have to drain the radiator
to install the thermostat.  Might as well remove the radiator and fix
the oil seal properly this time.  While I'm at it and have access
re-seal the side covers and I can also try to seal the less than perfect
fit of the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe with Permatex Ultra Copper
Silicone Gasket Sealer.  The 948 exhaust pipe is just a funnel shape on
the end of the pipe that mates to the exhaust manifold and is clamped in
place.  Never a perfect seal.  My apologies to the ladies for what I am
about to say, but I'm closer to naming my car now because I know it is
female.  It must be because it craves so much attention!
Mike MacLean Supercharged Leaking Female 60 Sprite