Re: Can't Win For Losing...

To: Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can't Win For Losing...
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:59:31 -0500
At 11:57 PM 8/22/2001, Paul A. Asgeirsson wrote:
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > With the exhaust pipe against the manifold, when you fit up a new
> clamp, all
> > mating surfaces of pipe, manifold and the clamp should be oiled with
> motor oil.
> > When you tighten the clamp, you want it to slip on the pipe so it
> doesn't pinch
> > the pipe and leave little pucker areas on each side of the clamp so exhaust
> > sneaks past.
If I may add, if you do not have the front pipe tightly affixed to the
mount at the bell housing bolts, no amount of clamp tightening will help.
The manifold clamp shouldn't be supporting any weight or inhibiting
movement. The exhaust system is meant to be clamped to the engine and
tranny, and to the body at the rear wheel well and trunk. Many cars are
missing or have poorly improvised mounts at the tranny.
         BTDT   Peter C