Re: Air compressor - What to look for

To: Swift Justice <samesq@postoffice.pacbell.net>, Spridgeteers <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air compressor - What to look for
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:57:32 -0700
Steve,
This is one tool where trying to "save a few bucks" will keep haunting you
forever.... or until you admit your ignorance and purchase another compressor.

"Two-stage" is the way to go.  Generally 220 volt machines.  These are capable
of running all day long putting out 175 psi (or more)  THE most important
aspect of a compressor is its "CFM" ability.  More is ALWAYS better!!!

**IMPORTANT**---- Go to one of the air tool sites.  Check out what it takes to
run say a DA type sander.... Lots of sustained CFM.  Have a glass bead machine?
 They consume phenomenal amounts of air.

Tank capacity is important.  Again, the bigger the better.  "Oil Free" isn't
the hot setup.  This was a cost reduction effort on manufactures part in order
to be competitive in the sales market.  Think about it... does it
make sense metal-to-metal is better than running on a thin film of oil... NOT

Spending a bit more now will pay off... Trust me on this one.
Herb
P.S. Vertical compressors take up less floor space and make good use of corners
in the shop/garage.