Re: Another healey?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another healey?
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 02:45:48 EDT
In a message dated 9/1/01 6:19:27 PM, montanabob51@hotmail.com writes:

<< When I was visiting my mechanic he had another british car that I kind of
liked - it is also a mG/Healey - it's called a Johnson Healey.  Looks kind
of like a Triumph.  Anyway, the mechanic said there was a lean on it and I
could get it cheap.  Does anyne know much about these cars? In particular
the color.  My mechanic said they actually came in Plaid.  Is he serious?  I
don't think Plaid would look good. >>

There was an American, Johnson Motor Company, that made Marine engines in the
50's and 60's and I believe there were plans for a production Johnson-Healey
in the late 60's,  which never came to pass  except for a couple of one-offs
one of which was Campbell Tartan Plaid because a granddaughter of Johnson's
was marrying a Campbell.   The rest were Black or White.  All had  Red
interiors.  As the story goes DMH was so incensed at the Campbell car that he
left the project and had all reference to it obliterated from his biography
and  company advertising.  Jensen-Healey conveniently came along and covered
most of the traces of Johnson-Healey's existence with it's nearly same name.

Too bad it has a lein on it.

Annice
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)