Re: watkins glen.....WHEW!

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: watkins glen.....WHEW!
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:11:27 -0000
allen for a change, i was not alone........
ok, curiosity got the best of me.  i went out and got my entry list.  i was
in class1-I and there were 6 entries in my class.
bandini saluro
2 mgtc's
2 saab 93f's
and a riley special
in group 1 total there were over 40 entries!   we had a very big field out
on course!  for sunday's race i was grided 37th.  for saturday's qualifier i
was grided 41st.  and yes there were mechanical failures over the course of
the weekend.  it was a great event!    huge fields and i never was able to
go see the car show field or any of the down town events wich go on in
conjunction with the races!   but we did plant ourselves at seneca lodge for
the recreation of the running of the original course !  beverages in hand
just feet away from from the cars tearing up asphalt running up the long
grade out of town into the country side.    nothing like a big block cobra
with open side pipes running on race high test winding it out on a long
hill!   you are so close to the cars that the resonance from their exhaust
just shakes your inner being!  and the smells!  it is incredible!   and yes
there were allards, and porsche's, and some sprites and spitfires, and
ferrari's and vettes and mustangs and camaros too!   they do 2 paced laps
with police escorts at a very quick pace for the recreation race.   with the
exception of pro rally you will never get that close to moving race cars and
never get that close to this type of cars at a race track as a spectator!
i realise this has little to do with repairing or maintaining our cars here
on the list.  but in my moment of enthusiasm looking back over the weekend's
festivities i really do choose to share some of my impressions and
excitement with evryone.   possibly some who never ever may have ventured
out to this event might be encouraged by my ramblings?    by the way!  if
you like vintage aircraft?  yesterday the local avation museum(who also
sells rides in this war bird) flew over the track twice in a B-17 WW2
bomber!   fully decked out in correct markings and colors with all the 50
caliber guns sticking out of all the "right" places!   (yes it was low
enough to see the guns sticking out of their respective ports and turrets!)
and the sound of 4 radial engines was incredible over the constant din of
race sounds in the pits!   an incredible sight!

chuck
going back to bed.......i did not stay at a holiday inn express at this
event! lol!!!!!!!!(you really need to see some of their television
comercials to apreciate the humour in that statement!!!

Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 2:15 PM

any way i recieved a third place award for
yesterday's serious thrashing of my vintage 1959 2 stroke saab racer in my
class of the group 1 race.