Re: bearing clearances, tappets and stuff

To: kturk@ala.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bearing clearances, tappets and stuff
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 23:43:16 EDT
Keith
Thanks for the advice. Being a weekend warrior (the car is at my country
house) means that I won't be able to check out anything for a week. I
actually only torqued down the center main, but I doubt if things will change
dramatically. The idea of having to run stiffer oil from the start really of
bugs me.
Watching the oil pressure gauge drop always drives me crazy. When the lower
end of the engine in my Triumph started to go, I went into denial. Kept on
putting in heavier oil. I knew the engine was going, but just didn't like to
be reminded of it. The 90W oil I was finally using probably did more damage
than good.
I remember the last ride with my son. We were cruising on a parkway and the
lad asked how fast I thought the car would go. Told him that one of the great
failings in my life was owning an XK-E with a speedometer that went up 160
mph, and had never driven the car over 125 mph. But the TR's speedo only goes
to 120 mph and suggested that maybe we could bury the needle. Didn't get
there, at 95 mph the car didn't sound too good. Got the thing home sounding
like a diesel. When I got up the nerve to look, I saw among other things that
I had stretched and blown the valve cover gasket out. Must have been that 90W.

Getting back to the rebuild. Does using STP and Oil an OK way to prelube
everything, except the cylinder walls?

David Oliner
60 Bugeye
67 TR 4A