Re: Taps dies etc. v.2

To: mgagne@unc.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Taps dies etc. v.2
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:29:49 EDT
In a message dated 9/23/01 5:07:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mgagne@unc.edu
writes:

> told me that he replaces all of his bolts, screws etc as he gets to them
> with grade 8 stainless steel replacements.  A couple of questions-- where do

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, grade 8 is not stainless steel, and I wouldn't replace "all" of the
hardware with either of those types.

I use grade 5 when replacing grade 5 and sometimes when replacing hardware
grade bolts.  Using grade 8 can cause some problems because grade 8 is more
brittle.  It should only be used where it is needed.

I have replaced a lot of trim screws and small hardware, like the sheet metal
screws that hold stuff to the inner fenders and firewall, with stainless
steel hardware.  Also all the hood mounting hardware should be SS.  You can
pick up SS hardware in a variety of sizes at a boating supply store.  They
also have a lot of different, heavy duty cleaners that come in handy.

Grade 5 and grade 8 hardware is available at most good hardware and auto
supply stores.  You can tell a grade 5 bolt by the three points on the head,
grade 8 has 6 points.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget