Re: Taps dies etc. v.2

To: "JustBrits" <justbrits@home.com>, <DLancer7676@cs.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Taps dies etc. v.2
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:06:55 -0400
On Monday 24 September 2001 08:31 pm, JustBrits wrote:
> <<...but there is a consideration that makes me think
> replacing with Grade 8 is sound>>
>
> Gee, DC, when did you get to be a Registered Phys. Engineer/Designer from
> Detroit(USA)/England/Italy/France/Korea/etc. ???
>
> Sorry, but you are "dead" incorrect.  (er, or could be!?!)
>
>     Ed

How about an article on why this is so? I keep hearing "because they're more
brittle" but more info would be nice for the non-ME.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of times on some of these auto shows on TV
they'll be working on some bit of suspension and they'll say something like
"be sure to use the grade 8 fasteners as recommended by the manufacturer."
Frequently these are being used on big honkin' SUVs. Those fasteners will be
under lots more strain than the ones in our little Spridgets, so why do the
*manufacturers* (as opposed to just the show hosts) recommend grade 8 there?

Not interested in arguing about this - just trying to learn.

Eddie
1971 Midget