Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 19:18:59 -0700
Cc: Ankitterer@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Bob,
     Let me tackle your questions one at a time.  I don't think the temp gauge
is
out of calibration, I checked it before installing by dipping the probe in
boiling water. (read 212F) The radiator cap seems to be working correctly also.
When I stop the car and the temp gauge reads 212, the cap will release water
through the overflow tube and I will lose about a half inch of water from the
radiator.  The capillary tube is not touching anything in the engine compartment
except the inner fender well that it is fastened to.
     The fuel pump was rebuilt at the time of the engine rebuild 2500 miles ago
with a generic kit that I bought at the local British car parts supplier.  She
had it on the shelf for 20 years, but it seemed to be in good shape and worked
perfectly with the S.U. carbs.  Maybe a rebuild kit of newer vintage will help?
     Float level on Holley carb was adjusted per Holley technician from a tech
assistance phone call.  Float was in good condition and I rebuilt the carb by
replacing gaskets and a few parts from the rebuild kit.
     Yes, I have the low compression engine, but I am running a gallon and one
half of 110 octane leaded racing fuel with every tank.  I don't know what this
makes the octane rating mixed with 91 octane pump gas.  Maybe I should move to
all racing fuel? (6 bucks a gallon! Yikes!)
     I will agree with high temps under the bonnet, but this may be also due to
the fact I have an extra oil scraper ring below the pin on the piston causing
more friction coupled with the fact the supercharger is pumping hot air into the
cylinder and the supercharger case is radiating heat into the engine compartment
with no place to go.  Definitely a hostile environment for all moving parts and
hard on the lubricants as well.
    I am sincerely trying to solve this problem and have not talked to George
about returning the unit, but I already knew he stands completely behind his
product.  I don't think George's Judson is the problem here.  Has to be
somewhere
in the possible problems mentioned by Bob above.
Mike MacLean Supercharged 60 Sprite and now thoroughly confused.