Rear brake springs

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear brake springs
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:04:14 -0500
Can anyone explain - in terms suitable for an idiot. How to put the damn top
springs in the rear brakes.

I have a 74 midget which my 12 year old son is helping with the rebuild
(takes longer, more fun) and he took the old brakes apart for me.

Now I'd like to put them back together, It's got two springs, lower one
seems straightforward. Top one has an extra 'tail' on it that looks like it
should connect to the handbrake actuating arm.

My Haynes manual shows a neat photo of the brakes assembled in which of
course the spring is hidden. and the Moss catalog shows the whole assembly
un-assembled. The Haynes does not seem to consider replacing the shoes any
big deal. I know I'm doing something stupid, any clues?

Steve - 74 Midget