Oh Deer!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Oh Deer!
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 09:52:39 EDT
Hi Listers:

Thought I'd share a little mis-adventure I had last night.  The Flatwater
Austin Healey Club, (Omaha-Lincoln NE area) has a function the last Friday of
every month where they meet at a small bar in a small town between Omaha and
Lincoln for Fish and Chips.  I hadn't been all summer for various reasons and
decided to go last night.  My wife opted out to go to the High School
fooltball game to see the marching band perform.  (a good thing as ot turns
out)  Anyway I was cruising along a country road at dusk when a deer suddenly
lunged from the ditch and apparently tried to jump over the bugeye.  It took
off the windshield, side miror, center mirror, mangled my radio antenna, and
badly banged up my passenger side door.  I pulled to the side of the road and
got some of the broken glass dusted off, then went back and drug the
shattered windshield glass off the road and picked up the windshield frame.
I saw the deer get up from the middle of the road and run off.   I decided to
just head back home, so I missed "fish" again.  The 30 miles home were
interesting with cold wind and night bugs blowing in my face, but got home
safe.  Not a scratch on me, but I'm sure a passenger would have been injured.
 Of course the deer didn't have the courtesy to bang up the body  panels that
are needing repair due to rust.  Oh well,  guess I'll call the insurance co.
and see what they have to say.

John O'Brien
'61 bugeye (deer hunter)
'65 BJ8