Re: Advice on pulling motor

To: mgagne@unc.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Advice on pulling motor
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:48:59 EDT
In a message dated 10/2/2001 11:28:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mgagne@unc.edu writes:

> Should I pull engine and tranny out together?  Once they are out, can it sit
> on the floor on the oil pan or do I need to rig up a support for it?  This
> is probably a good time to change the tranny fluid, no?
>
> I9m absolutely posilutely sure that I9m getting in over my head

Only if you want the tranny out for some reason.  And they will sit right on
the oil pan, although I like to put a board under the high part of the pan so
it isnt so tipsy.  If you are going to pull both, go ahead and drain them
both.  No need to lift the oil and tranny fluid out of the car.  And you
didn't ask, but the manual will probably instruct you to hook the lift chain
to the valve cover stud.  I don't trust that hook up personally. I like to
hook the chain to the generator bolt on one side and the rear exhaust
manifold bolt on the other side.  That balances the engine pretty well.  And
if you can rent or buy (they are not really expensive at  Harbor Freight) one
of those engine tilt devices, it will save you a hell of a lot of time and
energy.

--David C.