Re: painting advice wanted- acetic acid?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: painting advice wanted- acetic acid?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:56:42 -0800

---->> Bruce Lowry

>This is slightly off topic, but I'm curious what the vinegar is for.  I
>teach chemistry to UNC students and so it strikes me as odd that you would
>treat phosphoric acid with acetic acid (~5% or so in water makes vinegar) to
>neutralize it.  I tell our sophomores and freshman that you neutralize
>(carefully) an acid with a base (caustic, sodium hydroxide, etc), not with
>another acid (they lose points for that <gr>).

Mike,

You got me? This struck me as odd too. I always thought you neutralize an
acid with a base too. This was Bruce Lowry's suggestion.  If it's someting
I'm going to paint right away, I ususally just rinse in water and dry
quickly, then scuff with a red Scotchbrite, blow with compressed air and
paint. Small parts that I soak I will also rinse in water and towel dry.
Before they go into use I will wire wheel them and usually paint them.

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/fourpoints

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux