Re: Help!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help!
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:07:14 -0500
Hi, Frank -
Good to see you are still around.  Thanks for the quick reply.

I had my workshop manual along, and saw the drawing of the relief spring and
cup.  That was my first thought, that the relief valve had become plugged
somehow.  But, when I removed the 1" hollow bolt on the side of the block,
there was nothing underneath it but a copper washer--- no spring and no cup.
I even probed inside the hole with a screwdriver to make sure.   But, it has
been like that for at least the last 15 years and 40,000 miles with no
problem.   I motored the engine with the starter while the 1" bolt and the
filter head were off the car.  All I got out of the holes was used motor
oil.

Isn't the relief valve built into the oil filter head on the 1275?  There is
a spring-loaded ball in the filter head that is inside the area sealed by
the oil filter seal.  I can push it down easy enough, and I found a service
station with compressed air and nozzle, and I blew air through it.  It seems
O.K.  The ball is bright and shiny, and it isn't stuck.

??

Steve