Re: Garage planning-fire rating

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Garage planning-fire rating
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:45:05 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
At 06:42 PM 1/25/02 -0500, Frank Clarici wrote:
>I did use OSB (particle board) wood sheathing on the inside of my garage.

Just a note of clarification.  OSB (oriented Strand Board) and particle
board are two seperate type of boards.  OSB is made to use as sheathing and
can withstand exposure to the elements for periods of constuction delay of
as much as 6 months or longer, Manufacturers will usually not guarantee it
for longer.

Particle board on the other hand, cannot be exposed to moisture as it will
absorb it, swell up, and then proceed to fall apart.  It is generally used
as subflooring due to it's extremely smooth surface and almost perfect size
continuity on the edges.

Sorry, But my Georgia/Pacific training, from my days as Lumber manager at
LOWES just kicked in.  And it is one of the few times that I actually have
knowledge of something that is posted on the list ;-)

Travis G. Elliott

1979 Midget 1500
Original Owner, 1st car
Still in the rebuild stage, but closer