Re: Floor pan and spring hangers (longish) SPRITE CONTENT

To: "Larry Pitts" <FUZZY95687@yahoo.com>, "Spridgets Group" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Floor pan and spring hangers (longish) SPRITE CONTENT
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:16:36 -0400
Larry

As you may recall, I've BTDT (working with a professional, however).

I found that Lindsay Porter's Restoration book was a must for this job if
only for the
photos - there are suggestions there that you may or may not follow.  The
cast spring plate that sandwiches the floor between it and the spring hanger
is only supposed to be held in place by the nuts that you see.  However,
Porter states that many have been "bodged" by welding.  My experience was
that the rust was enough to make a strong "weld".  Mine let go with the
persistent use of a BFH & chisel!

Here's some information I assembled about the floor pans (as previously
posted by me):

Spridgeteers

Thank-you once again to all that responded to my queries.  I want to share
the
results of my research with the List for the benefit of anyone else seeking
maintain originality when they replace their floorpans.  From unmolested
Bugeyes, the following measurements appear to be accurate for the footwell
area of the floor pans:

LH pan
~ 3/4" from LH edge (inner sill) to commencement of depression
~ 3 1/4" from RH edge of depression to LH side of frame rail as visible in
cockpit
Frame rail is ~ 2 1/2" wide so distance from RH edge of depression to RH
edge
of pan is ~ 5 3/4".

RH pan
~ 2 3/4" from RH edge (inner sill) to commencement of depression
~ 1/2" from LH edge of depression to RH side of frame rail as visible in
cockpit
Frame rail is ~ 2 1/2" wide so distance from LH edge of depression to LH
edge
of pan is ~ 3".

These measurements make sense when one remembers that there has to be a wide
flat area on the RH side of either pan (with captive nuts) on which to mount
the accelerator pedal.  Therefore, the pans cannot be mirror images of each
other (which at least some replacement pans appear to be).

The ~ 3/8" drain hole is located:

LH pan
~ 3 1/2" back from the sloped panel
~ 9 1/4" from the LH side of the frame rail as visible in cockpit

RH pan
~ 3 1/2" back from sloped panel
~ 6 3/4" from the RH side of the frame rail as visible in cockpit

The captive nuts on the RH pan are located:
One at ~ 2" back from the sloped panel and 1 5/8" from RH edge of pan (inner
sill)
Second at ~ 2 1/2" back from sloped panel and 2 3/8" from RH edge of pan
(inner sill)

The base of the accelerator pedal on the LH pan is located:
~ 2 3/4" back from the sloped panel to the front of the pedal base
~ 1 1/4" from RH edge of base to LH side of the frame rail as visible from
cockpit
~ 1 3/4" from LH edge of base to LH side of the frame rail as visible from
cockpit

The 2-piece replacement pans that I purchased are "Steelcraft" (according to
my supplier) and are supposed to be of excellent quality.  However, neither
the left nor the right side accurately reflect the original measurements in
the footwell area and neither have captive nuts or drain holes.  The RH side
measurements are close - but the LH side prevents mounting the accelerator
pedal as original.  The can be corrected with some cutting and modification
(read expense) but you might be better off trying to get a 1-piece pan made
by
Wheeler & Davies (UK).  I do not have any experience with this firm or the
accuracy of its pans but I have been told that they are correct.

I hope that this may prove helpful to others.

HTH

Geoff Muttart
gmuttart@mtdc.ns.ca
Nova Scotia, Canada