Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 23:37:55 -0500
Leo Speichinger wrote:

>  Why are concours people so afraid to answer questions and assist
> in the correct restoration of other peoples cars?

I don't know.

I am not a concours guy but I do appreciate those who endevor to restore a car
concours standards. I also enjoy looking at well restored concours cars. I do
find
myself picking apart concours cars too. Not all, but there are some that are
"over
restored" and some that have new repro parts made in taiwan.
Should I stumble across the right car, I *may* do a concours sprite one of these
years. (note the word MAY)

I give lots of advice on and off this list. I also try to make it a point to
mention "this is NOT for the purist or concours guys" Sometimes I will say that
the concours judges will not see it, but then again, George mangages to see it
all.

I have seen Rob Garafolo's Bugeye in 92 when he won the gold, his car was
stunning. Biff has an unrestored car, I appreciate that one more because it IS
unrestored and still stunning.
I was probabaly just as upset when Biff told me the judges knocked him down
because he still had the original tires and they were dangerous.
Hey, they still hold air, have plenty of thread life, and they are NOT repros.

Most of what I know about originality comes from dismantling 40+ Spridgets over
the years. I have found some interesting items like the manila BMC tag on the
transmission. I don't think this is in the concours book. You have to pull out
the
tranny to find it. And if the car has seen wet weather over the years, that tag
is
long gone.
Runs in the paint on ALL oil pans and valve covers seems to be the norm but you
don't see that on concours cars. And my pet peeve is armourall on the tires.
Armourall was invented in 1969, no Bugeye should have shiny tires!

Done ranting and I didn't answer Leo's question because I don't know.

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ