Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)

To: David Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Subject: Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 12:35:49 -0800
Cc: DLancer7676@cs.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
I've just got to pipe in here on this one.  I built my Bugeye to as original
condition
as was physically and financially possible.  Let's just say my 2000 F150 cost
was
comparable to my Bugeye restoration cost.  I did this for the reason that I
found a
basket case with all the original parts, dated correctly and relatively intact.
 You
just don't know until later that you are going to have to replace some of these
parts
anyway until after the restoration is started.  Having owned 6 Bugeyes prior to
this
restoration I thought I KNEW how to restore a concours Bugeye.  I would never
have
done such a good job of it without this list.  I can't say what drove me on to
try
this level of restoration, but I thought I was "saving" this car from obscurity
or
extinction.  A few of you on this list have seen my car and I would think you
would
agree I met my goal.  The first time I showed the car was a popular judging
contest in
which another Gold Level Bugeye was also entered.  I took First Place over this
car
and the owner and I exchanged friendly information on what we thought were
discrepancies in each other's cars.  (Of course mine had very few. ;^) )
For the rest of last year, this guy showed up at all but one of the shows I
entered my
car in until the end of last year when he took First Place and I took second at
the
San Diego British Car Show.  He had been cleaning and improving his car all
year.  All
this time we freely exchanged info on our cars and he even encouraged me to
enter my
car in Concour judging, but that is not why I restored my car to this level.
Having a
body of my peers judge my car in a popular choice contest was enough for me.  I
just
like to see a very original car and there should be a percentage of these
preserved.
Despite  this "philosophy" of mine I am now talking with Gerard about building a
1275/5 speed package for me to install in my car.  This has been an agonizing
decision
for me.  I have people that own other Spridgets saying not to do it because we
need
original examples of the car for people to see.  On the other hand, these same
people
are driving Bugeyes with 1275s and enjoying keeping up with the traffic.  I've
just
decided that having fun driving my car is more important, but I won't change
anything
that can't be bolted right back to original.  Besides, 99% of the people that
see my
car don't know 948 form 1275 and only react to the looks of the car anyway.  I
don't
run a museum here.  Having said that I will freely exchange any information on
originality of these cars that anyone asks.  No snobs here.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite