Re: Restretching leather seats... (LBC application, maybe)

To: mgraziano@mindspring.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Restretching leather seats... (LBC application, maybe)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:02:51 EST
In a message dated 2/12/02 6:21:31 AM, mgraziano@mindspring.com writes:

<< Now,  the leather stretches straight across the depression, and not down
into the foam.   >>

Mike:

Before you get carried away, try a good leather  stretcher (available at shoe
repair shops), and a fanny shaped, warm, heavy device (like a largish fanny).
 This should stretch the leather to fit the "pocket" and may solve the whole
problem.  If there is any adhesive left, it will cling to the foam.  If not,
you may have to try taking the cover off the seat (making sure you can get it
back on)  and spray it with adhesive to keep the leather down.  Don't do this
until you get the leather stretched.  I wouldn't stick my neck out on these
seats until I'd talked with an expert, in any event.  Upholstery shops, hot
rod shops, tack shops, leather shops, shoe repair stores, are all good
leads--just make sure that the person who sells the product to you is
representing what it says on the product label.  Buyer beware, and all that
stuff.

For the "fanny"  I'd use a couple of towels, a heating pad, a plastic bag of
clothes (dirty, if you like), and some books or ??? piled one on top of the
other on the seat.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes)