Re: Speaking of Minilites

To: "Mike Maclean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speaking of Minilites
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:51:26 -0800
> Along with the 1275/Datsun 5 speed conversion I am starting for my
> Bugeye, I have decided to go with a MiniLite type wheel.  I went to the
> Panasport web site (www.panasport.com) and called the company from the
> phone number there.  They said my size would be 13 X 5.5.  I then went
> to the MiniLite web site (www.minilitewheels.com) and the size listed
> for the Sprite is 13 X 6!  VB and M*** sells a copy in 13 X 5.  Who the
> heck is right and what tire size should I get?
> Mike MacLean-60 Sprite

One of the reasons for so many widths has to do with the "legality" of
alternate wheels for SCCA racing.  When the Bugeyes first raced, they did so
on stock wheels of 3.5" width.  There were a number of wheel failures, and
after a period of requireing welded backing plates,  SCCA allowed alternate
wheels.  The rulemakers eventually settled on allowing a 1.5" over width
rim as long as the tire tread stayed within the wheel wells.  The "nominal"
size of stock wheel was defined (as of 1972) as 3.5" for H Prod Spridgets,
4.0" for GP and 4.5" for FP, thus leading to the existence of 13x5, 13x5.5
and 13x6 wheels for Spridgets.  You'll have to ask the maker about the
offset and what will fit under your round/square/flared or whatever wheel
arch with or without offset springs to sort out what wheel/tire combo will
fit best.  Since you have a Bugeye, you have a bit more room, but if you
haven't offset the rear springs you'll need to watch the clearance of the
tire to the spring.

Myles