Re: Vacuum question - Plus 26 Mar 2002 22:40:28 -0500

To: lbc@littlebitcountry.com (Dave Yealy)
Subject: Re: Vacuum question - Plus 26 Mar 2002 22:40:28 -0500
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:12:25 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net (Spridgets)
OK, Dave-

While you are checking the forward carb.
for the barb. as previously described over
which your dist. vacuum hose fits over
("ported" vaccum) I will attempt to answer
the other question, now that I know you
have a somewhat "redundant" system
for circulating crankcase vapors into the
combusion process which can be done
either through the carbs. or through the
inlet manifold through the previously
described "breather control valve" which
is, in reality, a "PCV Valve".

The little can on the timing cover is called
a "flame arrester". It feeds crankcase vapors through a hose to EITHER
the
carbs. OR the inlet manifold, upon which
sits a "PCV Valve".

You have an "early" intake manifold
"PCV Valve" set up for this but, you also
have "late" model carbs. for this as well,
so you can really go either way.

Personally, if I had a choice, I would rather not gum up the carbs with
crankcase vapors. I would run a "cleaner"
operation and run the hose from the flame
arrester to the PCV valve mounted on the
intake manifold. "Shut" the "takeoffs" (for
this purpose) mounted on the carbs. with
a bolt inserted in a small length of hose
"clamped" to each "takeoff" at the carb.
(or somehing like this!) and "clamp" the
bolt in the hose, too!! Make this an
"air tight" sort of affair or they will "leak
air" (aka vacuum leak) and "lean out"
the mixture.

Plug the hose from the flame arrestor over
the PCV valve inlet and make
sure the PCV valve connections on "both
ends" are well-clamped and airtight as well.

Now, if you are not using one, buy one
of the plastic "filtered" valve cover filler
caps as this is an integral part of the
crankcase vapor circulation system. The
"unfiltered" cap is NOT used with this
system and will screw things up.

How do I know this PCV system is working?

With the engine idling, remove the "filtered" oil filler cap; the idle
speed will
markedly increase. Replace the "filtered"
cap and the idle should drop to "normal",
accordingly.

How will I know whether the diaphragm
wears out.

The engine will suddenly start "burning oil" for no apparent reason at
all, issuing
clouds of blue smoke out the exhaust pipe.

How'd you make out down in the cellar?

Cap'n. Bob
    '60 :{)