Re: another question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: another question
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 10:47:09 EST
In a message dated 3/29/02 10:08:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, TeachJP@aol.com
writes:

> The header just dumps under the car at this
> point, my question is, is the car ok to drive to the muffler shop, about
> 1.5
> miles without an exhuast system.  Obviously, I would have the windows open
> so
> I don't die from the fumes.  My two concerns are harming the engine and how
>
> much noise the thing will produce and will it attract the local
> constabulary?

It shouldn't hurt anything for that short distance.  BTW, it's spring.  Why
would you have the hood up?  Just don't get too heavy on the gas pedal and
the noise won't be too bad.

> The people at the muffler shop tell
> me that they need the car to be running, they don't want to push it.  The
> guy
> I talked to also had a concern that the midget may not fit on their lifts,
> anyone else have that problem?

I've never had a problem with a lift.  Just make sure they put the lifting
pads under the frame or spring mounts, not under the doors or fenders.

The biggest problem will be clearance or the new exhaust under the car.  I
hope they have a half a brain when they put it together.  You may consider
buying an exhaust kit from one of the usual Brit Car sources so you get all
the right bits.  You can even install it yourself to save some money.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'75 Midget "The Project"