Starter Jamming

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter Jamming
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 08:54:49 -0800 (PST)
Need to know why this happened. Was cruising in Bugsy
yesterday and stopped car to go in a store. All
systems seem to be working in their own inane LBC way.
And ever since I've had the car it has never done
this.

Got back in car, turned key, nothing. Try again,
nothing. Radio come on but starter will not engage.
Tried to push start once or twice thinking must be
some strange electrical connection malfunction, rear
wheels lock up and engine will not turn over, sputter,
or do anything at all. Push car to side of parking lot
to cogitate and pull out the most absolute tool and
accessory that any LBC Car owner needs to carry with
them at all times, the cell phone.

Got a ride home and loaded trunk up with every
possible tool I could think of and hurried back to
rescue Bugsy. I determined that solenoid was working
ok and juice was getting to the starter. Started
checking starter connections and noticed that there
was a 5/16" square stud coming out of the end of the
starter. Reasoning that since engine would not turn
over even with pushing that starter might possibly be
jammed against flywheel in some strange LBC fashion.
Took my trusty adjustable box wrench tried turning one
way and it would not budge. Tried the other way,
slowly turned and then would rotate freely by finger
fressure so it would just spin around. Touched the key
and voila Bugsy roars, well that's a matter of
opinion, back to life.

So what is this arcane bit of LBC engineering, how do
I keep from having it happen again or do I simply make
sure I keep the adjustable box wrench in the car at
all times as a preventative measure. After all this is
a LBC and it's one of the quirks of owning one.

Multiple starts and stops later no problems with
starter rest of day. I will add that I need to check
timing as Bugsy will sometimes diesel when he gets
turned off. Possibly that one last shudder after
dieseling turned engine backwards slightly thus doing
something to cause the starter to jam. Humm??? I know
the answer to this question will be quickly explained.
Thanks for the help.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH