Re: 63 Sunbeam Alpine

To: Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: 63 Sunbeam Alpine
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 18:30:10 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi G,

Only difference between Fury and Belvedere is the level of trim (less difference
than a Midget vs. Sprite).  The 383 block is physically the same size, but I
believe the 318 can only be bored out to 340 or 360 at max.  All the mopar
people
take them out of their cars for 383 and above, kind of like us dumping 948's and
1098's for 1275's.

Was at Dixon for a while but didn't see you, saw Crash, wrong way Rick and Glen
Byrns, we stayed until it started pouring out and them left.  Last year it was
105,
this year it rained.  It's not supposed to rain in May.  I would have taken the
105
heat.

Steve

Gerard wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I had the same '63 Plymouth w/318 that you have but mine was not a Fury,
> but a Belvedere. That sucker was fast. If I'm not mistaken (and I might be
> as it's been a long time since my Mopar days) I think the block was the
> same size as the 383.
>
> Gerard
>
> At 1:44 PM -0700 5/19/02, Swift Justice wrote:
> >Which is most likely true.  The 318 Poly L engine was used up to about 65
> >or 66 I
> >think, it was known as the wide block or "big small block" because even
> >though it
> >was considered small bore size it was a big engine physically.  After 66
> >the 318
> >LA engine came out which was a smaller engine, but still bigger physically
> >than a
> >Ford 289.  The trade off for the size was a very strong engine that would
> >take a
> >lot upgrades without disintegrating.

Steve McGee, Atty. at Large
Samesq@pacbell.net