RE: Trying to start my 79 Midget

To: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Trying to start my 79 Midget
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 07:24:45 -0700
Update!

Well, I didn't get a chance to try all the suggestions passed along to me,
but I'm sure going to take care of them over the next week or so.

However, this morning I decided to try a variation on my starting routine.
In the past attempts I just pumped the gass a couple of times, hit the
ignition, and when it started (after getting over the shock that it actually
DID start), went under the bonnet to see what cable adjustments I needed to
make.  This time I stayed in the cockpit, pumped the gas, started it, and
then kept a relatively high RPM for about 30 seconds.  Then I backed off the
gas and.... it kept running!!  I got out of the car and fiddled with the
accelerator cable adjust for a few seconds and then just watched all the new
gaskets burn in as the engine heated up (love that smell of success!)

So, I don't know exactly what I did differently unless it has to do with the
water choke, but now I have a running vehicle to work with.

Thank you for all the tips on what to clean, ream, and adjust, fellas.
Those are my next tasks!!

Bill