Re: Gasket dressing

To: dan.dwelley@ps.ge.com, rglenn@netdoor.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasket dressing
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 05:40:05 EDT
dan.dwelley@ps.ge.com writes:

> I wouldn't use any dressing
> between the head and the valve cover gasket. You will be removing the cover
> periodically to adjust the valves.

If you put a thin coat of oil on the head just before applying the RTV
(thinly) coated valve cover gasket, it will not stick.  Also, of course, the
white lithium grease will not stick. I think the last time I put mine on, I
RTV'ed the gasket into the valve cover and white lithiumed the bottom of the
gasket.  Worked great.

Also, be careful not to crank the nuts down too much on the valve cover.
That would cause a warpage and leakage of the cover.

--David C.