Re: Timing and Temperature

To: David Riker <davriker@pacbell.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Timing and Temperature
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:12:34 -0400
David,

Interesting thought. I have the Lucas Gold Sport coil in the car and I do
not believe it was wired to the ballast. In fact I am not sure it needs to
be, but I would welcome a definitive answer to that one. It is not currently
wired to the ballast. I also have a Pertronix, which has been in the car for
nearly 6 years.

Now one point I did not mention was that I also installed a new combo gauge
in the dash to replace the electric temp gauge. (I have to go back and take
it out and change the bezel, it's chrome while the other gauges have the
black edging on them). I had been running a Sun mechanical temp gauge with
the temp marked in F. The combo gauge has just the "N" on it. I am not sure
what temp the N actually stands for. So this may affect my perception of
"overheating". The needle sits a little off the peg in 90F air temp, with
out even running the car at all Sunday about noon. So it may be that the
gauge is calibrated differently. I am going to try the old "stick the bulb
in boiling water" trick to see where 211 is (Yea I know 212, but I am a bit
above sea level ;-)

Anyway, yesterday I checked the timing. And it seems to be spot on, about
10BDC, So I started playing with the Weber DGV and got it to idle properly
and leaned out the mixture. Prolly need to clean the K&N. It did not seem to
be running quite as hot after that, but I have not put it through the stress
that I did on Sat. It was also about 95F on Sat.

One more item for your interest. I have a 12" Haynes fan pushing air through
the radiator. When we do the tranny swap in a couple weeks I am goring to
see if I can get the durn thing on the proper side of the rad, pulling the
air. I don't think I can clear the nose on the water pump tho. Might see if
a 10" one will fit.

All in all I am going to throw a full tune up on the car, with cleaning the
air filter, and see what happens next.

Larry

On 8/11/02 11:37 PM, "David Riker" <davriker@pacbell.net> made the profound
revelation:

> Possible clue.  You just put in the new wiring harness, and you have a 1500
> model midget, right?  On the old harness, were you bypassing the the
> resistance wire to the coil, and running a non-ballast coil?  If you were,
> and the new harness was a stock replacement, you may be running a twelve
> volt coil on a six volt circuit.  This would result in poor idle due to weak
> spark, and might cause the car to run hot.  Just something to check.
> David Riker
> 63 Falcon
> 70 Torino
> 74 Midget
> http://home.pacbell.net/davriker/

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

 I have great faith in fools - my friends call it self-confidence.
 - Edgar Allen Poe