Re: master cylinder question

To: mlawrence@datasys.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: master cylinder question
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:07:31 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/02 12:19:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mlawrence@datasys.net writes:

> How does one go about stopping a leak in the master brake cylinder?  This is
> new mc for the 1500.  I believe the leak is from underneath the rubber boot
> or
> whatever it is called where the plunger goesinto the master cylinder to put
> pressure on the fluid as the fluid is slowly going down my brake pedal.

- - - - - - - - - - -

If the master cylinder is leaking down the pushrod, it needs to be rebuilt.
You said this is a NEW MC?  TAKE IT BACK!!!  Is it a really new one, or is it
a newly rebuilt one that you just bought?  In any case, take it back.  There
are some cheeep rebuilds out there.  They clean the outside and put in new
seals, but they don't bother with details like HONING THE CYLINDER!!!  That's
how they can sell them for 40 bucks.  Sometimes you get lucky and get one
that had a clean cylinder to start with.  You are apparently not one of the
lucky ones.  :-(

If you want to make sure you get a good brake MC, send an old one to White
Post Restorations for brass sleeving.  It will last forever, but you will pay
for the service.

To answer your specific question about how to get it to stop leaking, you
can't just plug a hole!  And duct tape won't stick to brake fluid soaked
parts.  (Ask me how I know!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget