RE: Dif for racing

To: <NewNGsInfo@cs.com>
Subject: RE: Dif for racing
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:53:21 +1000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
John Carey said:

> Last I heard, you don't use LSD.  (which is very questionable).

Never found the need. If you set the car up well (stiff (esp. at the front),
plenty of suspension droop at the rear, no rear sway bar), and use an
appropriate driving style ( a) don't brake too late into the turn -- to
avoid
unloading the rears so much that you can't b) get on the gas early to
transfer
weight to the driving wheels), then inside wheel spin isn't a problem, even
with
a full race motor.

Having said that, I've put myself down for the phantom grip LSD since in
rallying, you don't have the luxury of "knowing the track" and pre-planning
every corner just perfectly.. I'll tell you if it helps after I try it.

BTW, the only time I have had problems with inside wheel spin has been
because
of limited droop -- tele shocks in one case, rear springs that were too
stiff
and flat in the other case.

> If you do, all I'm saying is that you get a much better diff with disk
brakes
> using the RX7 diff. for a LOT less money than any single improvement
needed
> to make the Bugeye diff. suitable for hard driving much less for racing.
> (Hardened axels for example).

Yes, it is much cheaper, but it isn't legal in any race class I'm aware of.
I was responding in a followup to John Deikis in which the context was
vintage
racing. Yes, people would probably get away with it for a while, but people
will find out then your reputation is toast.

Yes, high strength axles are a good idea, and they aren't cheap, but that is
a different argument to the diff itself. There are plenty of folk who use
standard axles in competition. They do get a lot of practice at changing
axles (true WST???)

> You can argue all you want about LSD or diff strength, to each his own.
We
> have come up with a bolt on solution to many problems and don't destroy
the
> car in doing it.
>
> I do not need to say anything more on this.
>
> John Carey

Fair enough, each to his own. The point that John Deikis was making is that
we
love our cars, warts, weaknesses and all -- at what point to you just go
race an
RX-7??? That is an individual choice.

The point I am making is that none of this (RX-7 diff etc) is *necessary* to
be reliable and competitive on the track and in rallies (some of my fellow
competitors use the Quaife LSD and I have never seen any systemic advantage
that they may have over me).

Having said that, you and anyone else can do whatever *you* want to do with
your car. It is your choice and you don't have to justify it to me or anyone
else. The RX-7 rear end sounds like an effective, viable conversion. I am
just pointing out it isn't a *necessary* one.

cheers, Mike