No start x2

To: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: No start x2
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:23:08 -0400
I have only one day a week to work on my cars, so here are this weeks
puzzles...

Both Midgets will not start.  They ran about a year ago, but I must admit I
didn't run them now and then to keep them in good operating condition
(DCO!).  I've been away from working on the cars for so long, that I don't
seem to have any idea what I'm doing anymore!  Help!  I've been trying for
the last month to get them to go, but they won't.  Here's where we are so
far---

Car #1 is a 1972 Midget with Crane electronic ignition.  Battery is new, and
replacing the fuel pump (with a Facet pump) got fuel going to the carb.  The
problem is, the ignition won't turn the starter.  The starter has been bench
tested, and it's good.  The solenoid is good.  I think the ignition switch
is good, because it's getting juice to the solenoid when it's on.  I've
already replaced a very rotted ground strap underneath, but that didn't make
a difference.  The funny thing is, with the bad fuel pump in, at least the
starter was turning the engine... Now that it has fuel, the starter won't
turn.  Should I trash this Facet fuel pump and put in an SU?  Or is that
just a coincidence, and I have some other problem?  I don't know anything
about the Crane ignition -  Might that have something to do with it?  One
more thing --I tried what someone suggested and pressed the button on the
solenoid to see if the starter turns.  It spun the starter once (without
cranking the engine), but won't do it again.  NOW what did I do to this poor
thing???

Car #2 is a 1974 Midget with ordinary points-type ignition.  It has a new
battery and also a new Facet fuel pump (for some reason, much noisier in
this car than the other one).  The starter cranks the engine just fine, but
I'm not getting any spark.  I have new plugs, wires, points, condenser, and
rotor.  There's no spark at the plugs, and a further check revealed no spark
from the coil wire when I grounded it out.  Does this mean the coil is bad?
Or the ballast resistor?  Any ideas?

-Nory

NORYS LAWS:
1.  Just because you have found the problem, doesn't mean you've found the
ONLY problem.
2.  Just because it's new doesn't mean it works right.