Re: No start x2

To: Nory <nory@buffnet.net>, Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No start x2
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 07:17:02 -0400
#1 is sounding like a bad or hung-up brush in the starter, or a bad
contact in the commuatator.  I'm thinking the latter.  If you've got
the little square shaft sticking out of the back of the starter, use it
to turn the starter a few degrees and try it again.  If it works,
there's a bad commutator connection.

A bad commutator connection will drive you batty, because the starter
will work sometimes, sometimes not, depending on where the starter
stopped turning the last time you used it.  (If it stopped with a brush
on the dead commutator contact, the circuit is open, and the starter
doesn't turn.  If it stopped somewhere away from the bad one, then the
starter will be turning fast enough by the time that the dead winding
comes past that it just loses a little power.)  BTW, unless you're
using some pretty fancy equipment (that detects the momentary break in
the circuit), a starter with a broken commutator contact can pass a
bench test.

Chris K.

> Okay, here's a little more info on some things mentioned:  Both
batteries
> have a full charge.  I know the solenoid on Car #1 is good, because I
> swapped it for another (new) one and still had the same problem.
Also, the
> starter isn't jammed in the flywheel (BTDT).  This one has me more
baffled
> than the other one, because I've never had a problem like it before.
>
> Car #2 sounds more promising... I'll check for spark at the points
and I'll
> try a new coil if I can get one at the local supplier this week.
>
> -Nory
>
> NORYS LAWS:
> 1.  Just because you have found the problem, doesn't mean you've
found the
> ONLY problem.
> 2.  Just because it's new doesn't mean it works right.
>
> ----------
> >From: "Nory" <nory@buffnet.net>
> >To: Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> >Subject: No start x2
> >Date: Wed, Sep 18, 2002, 4:23 PM
> >

> >I have only one day a week to work on my cars, so here are this weeks
> >puzzles...
> >
> >Both Midgets will not start.  They ran about a year ago, but I must
admit I
> >didn't run them now and then to keep them in good operating condition
> >(DCO!).  I've been away from working on the cars for so long, that I
don't
> >seem to have any idea what I'm doing anymore!  Help!  I've been
trying for
> >the last month to get them to go, but they won't.  Here's where we
are so
> >far---
> >
> >Car #1 is a 1972 Midget with Crane electronic ignition.  Battery is
new, and
> >replacing the fuel pump (with a Facet pump) got fuel going to the
carb.  The
> >problem is, the ignition won't turn the starter.  The starter has
been bench
> >tested, and it's good.  The solenoid is good.  I think the ignition
switch
> >is good, because it's getting juice to the solenoid when it's on.
I've