Re: Hello

To: Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, RBHouston@aol.com, argelion@epcc.edu
Subject: Re: Hello
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:24:20 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Robert -

In 1981, I saw an add for a fibreglass body kit of a 1934 Frazer Nash TT
Replica.  This was intended to fit on a Beetle pan and use many of the
donor car components.  After an interminable period, I received two large
boxes of green fibreglass pieces, one large box of black fibreglass pieces,
a frame extender and some emblems.  Several phone calls to Buffalo, NY
later, I received an assembly manual for the model of F-N kit that
superceded the one that I got.

I acquired a donor vehicle ('69 bug) and enlisted a friend as
co-conspirator in this effort.  After ten months of all the time we could
get away from our respective spouses, we had a running vehicle.

The process required "inventing" mounting brackets, chassis reinforcements
(the bug pan was narrowed and lengthened), firewall, seats, dash, complete
windscreen assembly (I wanted a folding windscreen) and gas tank.  We then
had to purchase wheels (3.5 X 19 wires @ $250/each) and tires (5.00 X 19),
instruments, coil-over shocks and front-end lowering kit.

The engine (1500 cc, single port) became a 1835 cc dual-port with the
addition of 82 mm barrels and Mexican heads.  A pair of 40 IDA Webers were
then mounted and a "hot street" cam installed.

Some top bows were fabricated and a top made by a local custom top shop.

After the engine blew up due to the cam lobes not being hardened (just keep
adjusting!), the crank was replaced with a nitrided, counter-weighted item
with an aluminum flywheel.  The gearbox was set up with close-ratio 3rd and
4th gears and top gear welded to the shaft.

In 1998, I started running the car in SCCA SOLO II autocross events.  The
Model A Ford tires weren't much good, so I got a set of newly
re-manufactured Dunlop Racing tires.

The car is a ton of fun.

Interesting people ask for rides.

The project is never done.

regards,

Clay L.
'67 Sprite

I have not personally done a kit car, but my good friend Chuck has and I