Coolant Leakage

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g8UAtvt24761
Subject: Coolant Leakage
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 06:55:45 -0400 om>
Ok...here's a perplexing problem for me that maybe some of you can help me
with.  I have disappearing coolant.  I KNOW where it's coming out (reservoir
overflow)...but I don't know why.   Basically, I can fill the radiator up, then
I fill the reservoir to it's specified level...BUT the level in the radiator
(with the engine off) never seems to stay at the top.  It always sinks about 2
inches down.  The water comes out of the reservoir overflow, which is about 2
inches below the top of the radiator level as far as water level is concerned.
So..ok...the radiator reservoir sits a little lower than the radiator.  (take a
look at yours...I'm sure it's the same)  Anyways...when I start the motor...no
more water leaks out past the 2 inch drop when I filled the radiator
up.....BUT....when the engine gets up to temperature...it starts spitting water
out of the overflow outlet in the reservoir.  It nearly empties out the
radiator and overheats.

Facts:  1. Had engine rebuilt less than 500 miles ago.
           2. Changed thermostat twice, testing each of them just to make sure.
           3. Starts spitting once engine warms up and thermostat opens...so
there is obvious coolant flow.
           4. NO white smoke out of exhaust.
           5. Checked reservoir cap...seems in good shape.  I checked the
spring against a new                               one...and they seemed to
have about the same tension...but I have not changed it yet. (next on the list)
           6. Head re-torqued to spec.
           7. No water in the oil...at least that I can tell.

If any of you'z guyz can help me out on this...I'd REALLY appreciate it.
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/iamthor3>

Thanks,
Mike Thompson
'71 Spridget ( Natas a.k.a. 'lil Nate )