Re: gas milage

To: macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gas milage
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 06:49:20 EDT
Although I am mostly a lurker, I am coming out of the computer screen to ask
this question.  My 79, 1500 runs great with a downdraft weber, headers, 4
speed, and no other modifications that I am aware of.  All of the emissions
stuff has been disconnected by the DPO, but the car has been checked over by
Jim at British Racing Green in Newark, Delaware and pronounced fine.  My
question, problem, is that I only get 16-18 MPG, even on relatively long
runs.  Saturday we went to MGs on the Rocks, drove about 90 miles on
backroads with relatively little traffic, a bit of highway (60 mph, much to
the dismay of the MG V8 in the caravan) and yet I used about 5.5 gal.  This
seems a bit much for such a light car, with a smallish engine with few
modifications.  Is this "normal" (I really don't thrash the car around,
rarely over 4000 rpm) for the Midget?  I just feel that I should be getting
better milage, I ran out of gas last year (luckily with the club to help
rescue me), because, of course, the fuel gauge is very inaccurate.  I
appreciate your thoughts on it.
BTW, British Racing Green checked the mixture on the weber when I put the
headers on.
JP
John Poynton
79 Midget "Yellow Fever"