Re: gas milage

To: TeachJP@aol.com
Subject: Re: gas milage
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:18:53 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
John,

I have been using the Weber DGV for several years and never really got
good mileage out of it. I did get about 30 mpg several years ago on my
Blue Ridge trip. I usually have been averaging in the mid 20's lately.
I have no idea, yet, what I am getting with the 5-speed. No speedo
cable.

16 - 18 seems to be very low. I have to agree with Chris on this tho. I
always got better milage when I ran the car above 3000 RPM. The engine
with the Weber and headers just runs better there. But check the plugs
and the vents for the emissions junk. Also clean and check the choke
mechanism. I don't recall if yours has the manual choke or the water
heated one. But make sure it is operating correctly.

To set the mixture, I always do it by ear. Set the idle about 1000 RPM
and start playing with the mixture screw. You should turn it clockwise
until the idle just starts to drop off. Fiddle with it at about that
spot until the idle is smooth and any more "inward" adjustment just
causes the idle to drop. That is just about right. Then set the idle
speed to where you want it. Remember to blip the throttle a few times
during the "fiddle about" phase to insure you are not leaving too much
fuel in the system and creating an artificial rich condition. I think
this is also the method suggested in the install instructions, but I no
longer have them. When you think it is right, run it for a while, drive
around, hit 5K on the tach, and see where it idles back to.

Also I have heard that the DGV as supplied in the set up for the 1500
has a jet that is not exactly the right size. You can try a smaller
one. I think you can get them through MiniMania, but am not sure. I
never bothered as mine always seemed to be so close to right it wasn't
worth the effort.

Larry

And remember, these cars like to be "thrashed"