HS2 Float Level and RB Accelerator Pedal

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: HS2 Float Level and RB Accelerator Pedal
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 15:34:22 +0000
Good morning Listerati!

Saturday I finally got around to pulling the tops off of
the float chambers of the HS2 carbs on my 74 Midget. It
has had an unhappy tendancy of starving out in
lefthanded u-turns that some sadistic individual likes
to put into autocrosses ;-)

I surmised that it could be related to float level, so I
finally checked. It turned out that the floats were the
1-piece plastic numbers with no adjustment to them but
way out of the settings prescribed by Haynes. How are
you supposed to compensate? Is it the wrong needle valve
in there? I got around it by pulling the floats from a
spare set of carbs and setting them up to the Haynes
specs.

It did much better in yesterday's autocross. I was able
to post a better time than any of the non-modified MGBs
and better than some of the modified cars. I should have
done better, but I was having trouble with my
accelerator pedal distracting me something fierce.

That brings up my other question. I notice that the
rubber-bumper models have a nicer accelerator pedal (at
least to my way of thinking). If any of you out there
are scrapping out a rubber bumper and don't want the
accelerator pedal, I am looking to pick up 4 or 5 of
them. Thanks!
David Lieb
Too many RWAs