Re: Wire wheels x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: davriker@pacbell.net, HealeyRic2@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire wheels x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:33:45 EDT
David,
In this instance, a welch plug is a circular flat piece of metal with a
slight dome to the middle.  It fits inside the splined wire wheel hub
outboard of the end of the axle shaft.
You install it by placing it inside the hub and giving it a good whack with a
drift, like a 1/2 in. drive extension.  It's basically the same as a freeze
plug for a motor.  There is a machined slot around the inner circumference of
the hub where it will stay once driven in.  I don't know where you could get
one now, all I had to do was to go to my friendly JRT dealer who had them in
stock (I said it was 20 yrs ago).  You could try bringing your hub to a local
auto supply, or perhaps MiniMania or AH Spares.  The easier solution would be
to find some rubber balls that fit tightly inside the hub and silicone them
in.

HTH
Rick