Top won't snap shut

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Top won't snap shut
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 05:23:46 -0700 (PDT)
With anticipation of frost on the pumpkin or it's
really getting time to fit the top so I can keep
driving Bugsy until it snows, I fit a used top on
Bugsy the other day. Top is in good shape and I used
the holes that were already there to fasten the top in
the front as well as the back. First attempt at
closing top, could not get to close. Top is so tight
that second set of top bows cannot move up enough past
lets call it horizontal / straight so I can position
clips in back of the windshield and snap down. After
lots of swearing put car out into the sunshine. After
being there for an hour, retried to snap top down,
vinyl stretched, I was able to move second bar past
vertical and all seemed to fit fine. Weather was
great, ok I know the top fits, put top back down and
snap the cover in place.

Fast forward 2 days. 32 degrees and frost here in
Dayton this morning. Time to take Bugsy out and go get
coffee. Better put the top up. Oh no, try, and try,
and try again. Top will not close and latch shut no
matter how hard I push, pull, and swear at Bugy. So
what's the secret. How to make this fit without having
to go through major gyrations to get it to stretch and
get it to close. Usually when you really need the top
up A) It's about to rain and those aren't sunny clouds
overhead B) Bugsy's trunk doesn't have enough room to
pack a hair dryer and all of the extension cords
needed to make sure I can warm the top before trying
to close wherever I go.

I hate the thought of drilling out all of those
rivets, removing the windshield seal, and risk tearing
the top trying to peel it off of the frame after I did
such a good job gluing it. How do I get the top to fit
and fit reliably so I can close the top when needed. I
recall some folks advising Brad Fornal several months
back on this same issue but I didn't need the advice
at that time. Thanks to all for the help.

=====
Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Dayton, OH