Re: Top won't snap shut

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Top won't snap shut
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:55:53 EDT
In a message dated 10/14/02 5:24:40 AM, thistle_3619@yahoo.com writes:

<<  I
recall some folks advising Brad Fornal several months
back on this same issue but I didn't need the advice
at that time. Thanks to all for the help. >>

Jim:

Isn't it nice to be able to cuss you car in its own language?

I have had the advantage now of seeing everybody else's replies to your
dilemma.  From what people told Brad (and me), I thought that once the top
had been properly stretched out it would stay that way.  Guess not.  Sure,
putting the top up every night when you leave the car might work, but it's a
PITA.  Both of Pilot Rob's suggestions might help also, particularly removing
and regluing.  Our own solution was to have a custom soft top made that fit
loosely enough that Bob and I could easily install it in the rain, which is
the situation when it is usually installed.  We are getting too old to pull
and tug just to get a top up.  It does work fine, but you can't show the car
with the soft top on it, and it isn't very good-looking at its best.

Best of luck.  Wish I had a better solution.

By the way, with a Bugeye if you aren't too tall you can get away with
leaving the frame collapsed and putting up the top, then releasing the spring
loaded expanders to make the frame a little snugger.  I usually took the top
down before I got the frame opened up all the way.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"
2000 Miata SE Mahogany "The Miata"
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "The Heep"
1991 Lazy Daze (Ford) "The Motorhome"