Re: Serial #'s one more time-BUGEYE

To: BCAH@aol.com
Subject: Re: Serial #'s one more time-BUGEYE
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:10:20 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, bugeye@yahoogroups.com
BCAH@aol.com wrote:

> List,---OK, Let me put my notes together and see if we all agree and > if
>not, why not.

Ok, Bugeyes NEVER had the chassis ID anywhere but on the removable plate
on the frame under the carbs. You are correct on the body pressings
number near the heater motor. Close but no cigar.
The door post tags were body and paint code (I think) nothing to do with
chassis IDs.
MKII Sprites and on, DID have the chassis IDs stamped into the frame
just infront of the right front shock. I did a research project on this
for Rick in Hershey many years ago and on a 62 AN6, I saw the chassis ID
stamp on the front shock frame. It also appears on MKIIIs, MKIVS, and
even 1500 Midgets but NOT on Bugeyes.

I never heard of any chassis IDs on floor frames on bugeyes but I am
always learning. I never saw one, but I never looked either.

Chassis IDs on most Sprites did also appear in yellow grease pencil on
the back of all dash boards, inside the boot on the top of the rear
deck, and sometimes under the mat (rug) on the rear ledge.
And if you find a really clean car with little miles, there was a paper
tag tied to the tranny with the ID number on it. I found one once.
it was a BMC paper tag and probably didn't last much past a year.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ