Re: Newest MG??

To: John.Deikis@med.va.gov
Subject: Re: Newest MG??
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:45:31 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
In a message dated 10/23/2002 9:48:43 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
John.Deikis@med.va.gov writes:

> A number of years ago, I had a chance to drive one of the first MG-F's when
> Ford brought one over to study it's "steer-by-wire" system (now there's a
> frightening thought when you consider it was a Lucas product!).  Beyond the
> vestigal shape of the logo and the grill, I noticed no resemblance to my
> 1969 MGB, my 1968 Midget, or my 1953 MG-TD.  But my old man's '86 LTD
> didn't
> seem to have much in common with his '53 Crestliner either, and they came
> off the same assemblyline on the Rouge River in Detroit

Great post John....

Being a genuine baby boomer....I really like retros.  The new t-bird, the new
bettle (that I could afford!), the PT Cruiser, the new Morgan, and that new
Chevy PU/roadster due out this summer...and who could forget the prowler.

I really thing there would be a larger market for a perhaps less technically
astute MG, based on a "who cares" sedan chassis, with a retro look.

Actually, I was following a new T-bird in traffic the other day, and the rear
half of that car would make a great front end for a new bugeye.  Check it
out...replace the tail-lights with headlights and put a grill in that cut out
on the rear of the T-bird....

The success of the Miata should show someome there is a market for $25K
sports cars....and if we could think of them as British, if only because of
the MG badge, they'd sell a few boatloads.

Just my opinion...I could be wrong.

Robert B. Houston

Santa Teresa, NM
'74 Midget
'63 TR4
'03 Beetle

...   Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
  themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."

  - Winston Churchill