Re: Newest MG??

To: <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Newest MG??
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:10:16 +1000 tests=IN_REP_TO,SPAM_PHRASE_00_01,USER_AGENT_OUTLOOK version=2.43
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Here is Australia we have lots of the MGF around. They are welcome in the
MG Car Club (and have their own register), they races with/against us in
the local MG racing series, and they even have a nationally televised race
series (the MGF trophy series) -- a support event for the main professional
road racing series in Australia.

They are produced by MG-Rover, which is *not* owned by anyone else - it is
an independent. The engine is one of the Rhonda engines (K-series) and is a
nice little unit.

OK, so it is different from the B and the Midget, so what.

The MGA crowd *still* assert that the last *real* MG was the MGA (they hate
the B and ignore the Midget), the T-series folk say that MG lost the plot
with the A. B owners ignore the modern Midgets and the original midget
owners pretend the modern "BMC" Midget doesn't even exist!

So there is nothing new in these sentiments (except that the whole bloody
lot of them have lost their marbles - the modern Midget is the king of
the crowd! :-)

I think it is good to see the MG brand alive and doing well. A modern
version of the Midget would do very well I suspect - smaller, lighter,
better power-weight ratio than the Miata, with handling that is sharp
as a pin - I'd probably buy one. The VVT Rhonda motor would be a nice
candidate, and if they resurrected the "Special Tuning" options, it would
be a real hit.

Mike