Exhaust Pipe Clearance

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Exhaust Pipe Clearance
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:44:50 -0600
Now I am puzzled (again). My Ebay Midget (1972) had a damaged exhaust pipe
right where it makes the bend below the manifold to head to the back of the
car. I didn't think much of it, replaced it with the one from another
project car, but that one looked like a muffler shop special and the
clearance under the bend was not good -- scraped a lot. So I ordered a new
pipe from PPP, got a new muffler from dE and today was nice enough out (in
the 40s, WoW!) that I was out laying on the cold concrete putting the new
pipe on.
Everything fit fine, but it still looks as if the pipe has more clearance
from the bottom of the car than necessary and less clearance from the road
than I would like. It doesn't look that far off on my 1974, but that poor
thing is so bent up that it is not a good reference. I am not ready to throw
a header onto it yet. Is there anything I should be looking at? Engine
mounts look normal. Am I just paranoid?
David Lieb
Exhausted 1972 RWA