Re: Exhaust Pipe Clearance

To: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Pipe Clearance
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:57:44 -0500
allow me to give some ideas here?
#1 check the motor mounts for being somewhat compressed from time.  they do
this but there is not much to compress to start with.
#2 ride height!  sagged springs or lowered suspension.  this would account
for a very low exhaust to ground clearance.  there is one salvation wich
would require you to measure the pipe to floor distance and figure how much
you would like to reduce the distance.  remember the heat fron a front pipe
to oclose to the floor is almost enough to melt sneakers andvery
uncomfortable on long drives!   remove the pipe and cut out the needed
section on the down section weld back together and reinstall.   i had to do
this to a longman header for my bugeye back in 78.  i still have the same
header on the car.  my trade off was an incredibly hot driver's footwell on
long drives.   and i mean almost unbearable with carpet and padding!  but my
header and pipe are less than half an inch from the floor for needed
clearance.   my car has cut front coils and spreen's offset lowered rear
springs in it.  so it's low.  and it handles apropriately!  :)
the pipe drags on speed bumps.

chuck.