Re: Non LBC - Changing the Oil

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Non LBC - Changing the Oil
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:06:32 EST
In a message dated 12/19/02 5:59:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com writes:

> I guess I am just a stubborn old fart. I never have trusted one of those
> places with any car of mine. I would much rather lay down on an icy
> driveway
> to change my own oil

- - - - - - - - - - -

We have a Mobil oil change place in Willow Grove, PA.  It used to be Texaco
and he changed brands.  The owner is almost always there, and he orchestrates
a team of "kids" to move a huge volume of cars thru his shop.  The kids
appear to be well trained, and the owner keeps his place clean and neat.  I
have watched them mop the shop before closing.

I used him for oil changes while I was garage-less.  He would occasionally
let me know that a light was burned out or remind me of my mileage for tranny
fluid change, but he never tried to push his extras on me.

I use him when it is time for auto tranny fluid change on the Mitsu, because
he does the full fluid change.  I can only drain off the reserve.  I also use
him to clean fuel injectors every few years, which gives a noticeable boost
to the engine.  His prices for these services are very reasonable.
Meanwhile, the Jiffy Lube a few miles away has closed their doors.

Look around for a clean oil change place and talk to the owner.  If he isn't
there, keep looking.  It's good to know where these places are.  I can
recommend him to my daughter and my friends who don't work on their cars, but
always seem to ask me whats wrong with it.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)
'75 MG Midget (The Project)