Re: Non LBC - Changing the Oil

To: TeachJP@aol.com, mycroft@flash.net
Subject: Re: Non LBC - Changing the Oil
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:26:09 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/20/2002 9:17:23 AM Mountain Standard Time,
TeachJP@aol.com writes:

>  I have a good friend who works for Shell in their oil dept, he says
> that 7000 miles oil changes are fine, especially for the bigger, slower
> turning engines here in the U.S.

Sounds reasonable to me and reflects what the owner's manual says.

I'm in the trucking business but have been out of the maintenance end for a
few years.  In the old days we were extending the oil changes on Cummins
diesels...9 liters I believe, 350 HP....from 8000 miles to 12000 miles.  I
was talking with the owner of some 500 trucks last week, and they are now
extending the oil change from 30,000 miles to 60,000 miles!  They have added
some in-line oil filters to each truck, but see it as a major cost saver.
They are also regularly getting over a million miles per engine with only rod
and main insert changes around 750K.

I know a lady here in El Paso that took her Ford in for an oil change at
80,000.  It was the first change since new!  She said, "hey, I kept adding
more when it needed it".  Last time I saw her the engine had some 140,000
miles on it and was going strong.

Robert B. Houston

Santa Teresa, NM
'74 Midget
'63 TR4
'03 Beetle

...   Deck us all with Boston Charlie, Walla Walla, Wash, and Kalamazoo.
Nora's freezin on the trolley, swaller doller califlower, allagaroo!

Pogo Possum