RE: Spridget panhard bar

To: "'Deikis, John'" <John.Deikis@med.va.gov>
Subject: RE: Spridget panhard bar
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:52:53 -0500
Cc: "Spridget List" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
John,
        I noticed that your were looking for information regarding
distributors from the list. I am not sure whether you got any useful
information that helps in  a race motor scenario.

        We use a distributor less crank-fire system on our race motors.
Before the crank-fired systems, I would:

        1. Start with centrifugal advance only distributor housing.
There is no need for vacuum advance in a race motor.
        2. I would look for a low centrifugal advance shaft. (on every
distributor shaft, under the points plate, there will be stamped number
from as low as 7 to as high as 18. This number refers to the amount of
distributor advance for that shaft. Double that for the amount of
advance the motor will see.)
        3. Ideally you would like that number to be as low a possible.
        4. If you have a 17  degree shaft, that means you will get 34
degrees of advance. If you want your race motor to stay under 32 degrees
of advance, you would have to start at 2 degrees of retard. It is real
hard to start a motor with to much or too little advance. The optimal
starting timing is with between 18 and 22 degrees of advance. In that
case you should  look for  a 9 to 11 degree shaft.
        5. The next area of concern is the amount of wear in the
shaft/distributor. That will result in erratic timing between the
cylinders. Any more than 2 degrees of "slop" will be detrimental to
accurate timing.
        6. The "curve" of the distributor, which is  controlled by the
spring weight, was not very relevant.  We wanted all advance to be in
before 3500 rpm. The race motor  is geared so that you never go  below
5,500rpm nor over 7500 rpm.
        6. If you can run an alternate trigger mechanism to points, I
would go for the Pertronix optical trigger system.
        7. If you can't go with a crank trigger, then a Pertronix and a
MSD 6A box would be the hot setup.
        8. In case anyone else wants to go this way, I have a my former,
race ready distributor with a new Pertronix trigger system available
with MSD 6A box for $275.00

Tom Speed
Charlotte, NC