garage engine puller

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: garage engine puller
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 07:05:01 -0800
All this talk of electric wenches and rented engine pullers leads me to
suggest a simple method that is cheap and do-it-alone simple.  For the last
four years I've been using a steel cable hoist that I got from the local
hardware store for about $60.  I dropped a 4x4 across three rafters in the
garage so the load imposed on it would be split across three.   A figure
eight loop of suitable chain around the 4x4 from which the cable hoist hangs
completes the rig.  I've pulled spridget engines five times with it and
absolutely no problem.  Each in-and-out has been accomplished alone with no
difficulties.  I use a three foot piece of chain attached to the front and
back of the engine to attach the hoist.  I usually pull the
engine/tranny/driveshaft together as the easiest way that does not require
draining the tranny at any point.  Wire the u-joint to the tranny through
the shifter hole before you start the pull.

I can't do those little ascii drawings, so if you want to try this and don't
understand the above explanation, e-amil me and I'll send you a jpeg or two
that show it clearly.

Cheap, simple, and needs no helper.  The Spridget way.